Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spun my own version after browsing dozens of recipes for granola. Am still tweaking the fine details, but the flavor came out fantastic on first try; well worth another go. The recipe is flexible - mix and match ingredients to your heart's content. Happy crunching!
- 5 1⁄2 cups rolled oats, not instant
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran
- 2⁄3 cup flax seed, golden
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth
- 1 cup wheat germ, raw
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum
- 2 -3 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons walnut syrup (or other desired flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine "Dry Ingredients" in a large bowl.
- Heat "Syrup Ingredients" in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, until smooth. Reduce heat to low.
- Add syrup mixture to dry granola, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time, mixing granola to coat evenly.
- Lightly spray two cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Divide granola-syrup mixture in two and spread each half on a cookie sheet, making sure the granola makes an even layer that reaches all the way to edges.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning. Remove from oven & cool on wire racks.
- For a small crumble texture, stir granola periodically while cooling; for clusters, allow to cool completely before gently breaking granola.
- When completely cool, mix in any desired fruits and store in an airtight container (or add fruits/other toppings when serving). NOTE: remove any cinnamon stick pieces before serving.