Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rich tasting vegetable vegetarian chili to chase away the cold in Winter. You can use soy protein crumbles as well.
- 6 ounces raw cashews
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 9 ounces small broccoli florets
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces veggie crumbles (such as TVP,(about 2 Cups)
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup minced cilantro
- In food processor, combine the cashews, chili powder and cocoa. Pulse till it's the texutre of coarse meal. Be careful not to turn into a paste!
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sprinkle with sugar and cook, stirring till onions are softened and begin to turn gold, 5-7 minutes.
- Add broccoli, salt and 1/4 Cup of water. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cashew mixture, remaining 2 Cups water and the crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and soy crumbles and simmer uncovered and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add more chili powder and salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, blend the yogurt, lemon zest. In another bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, lemon juice and cilantro. Serve the chili topped with the garnishes.