Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Fast and easy and no hassles with frosting. Good picnic cake, as it travels well. My mother made this cake once a week during the 50's. She always added a cup of chopped dates to the batter, to get us kids to eat more fruits. Today I prefer to leave them out.
- 1 devil's food cake mix or 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (any variety)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs in bowl.
- Mix until moistened.
- Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into lightly sprayed and floured 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, sugar and nuts over top of cake.
- Bake 33 to 37 minutes in 350 degree oven, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.
- Cake does not need to be refrigerated.