Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cheesy goodness! I adapted this from the recipe on the Barilla no-boil noodle box. I increased the amount of cheese, and used a homemade sauce because I think canned sauces are too sweet.
- 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (1 box)
- 2 eggs
- 28 -32 ounces nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes or 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add cottage cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella, and the parmesan or romano cheese. Add the pepper and 1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano and stir well.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat - swirl to coat skillet. Add sausage and onion, and cook until sausage is no longer pink, then add garlic and cook briefly (one minute or so).
- If there's extra oil in the pan at this point, drain and discard.
- Stir tomato paste into sausage mixture and then slowly stir in red wine and water.
- Process canned tomatoes in food processor until finely chopped. Add with ALL liquid to skillet and stir.
- Add remaining 1 tsp each of oregano and basil and heat just until bubbling, then remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of pan.
- To layer lasagne:.
- Layer 1/4 of noodles, 1/3 of cheese mixture, and 1 1/4 c of sauce.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Then top with remaining 1/4 of noodles, remaining sauce, and 2 cups of mozzarella.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 55 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes so top can brown slightly.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Very easy and my dh loves it. I cheat and use a jar of store-bought sauce.
My Darling Dad loves lasagna! I made this as a treat for him -- so this review is my Dad's... "Really delcious flavor. Especially liked how cheesy it is." Great recipe Appley! Easy to put together. I did use Italian style turkey due to Dad's dietary restricitions. Made for Holiday Tag.
Very good lasagne, appleydapply! I don't like the flavor *quite* as well as my usual lasagne recipe, but I loved how cheesy it was, plus it was a little easier to put together than mine. So all in all, this is definitely a recipe I can see making again! DH loved it--it just vanished off his plate--and even DS, who is picky about eating foods with tomatoes, seems to like this super-cheesy recipe. I did forget to add the eggs to the cheese mixture, but honestly I don't think it really made a difference. It has a lovely texture, and a rich flavor as promised. Thanks so much for posting this recipe! Made for Holiday Tag Game.