Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have had this recipe for decades. I think that it was published in Sunset magazine. This recipe is very rich and has a strong chocolate flavor.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa, dry powdered type
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- In a fairly large saucepan combine 6 Table. butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
- Stir on low until the butter melts.
- Remove from heat and beat in the egg.
- Blend in the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8-9" greased pan.
- Bake 350F for 15-20 minutes until slightly darker.
- Let cool.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter with the remaining powdered sugar, the milk and the vanilla until fluffy.
- Spread over the crust.
- Melt 2 Table. butter with the 3 oz. chocolate squares.
- Stir until smooth.
- Spread over the filling and chill until serving time.
Very tastey and I get great compliments.