Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe. It is very different from other pumpkin breads because it calls for some unusual ingredients that make it special. I almost always use freshly cooked and mashed pumpkin in this - I like to use a small pie pumpkin, which I cut into quarters, seed, and steam until tender, then remove the peel and mash. But I have used plain canned pumpkin as well - just don't accidentally use pumpkin pie filling - you need the plain puree. Prep time assumes you already have some pumpkin puree handy. The extra loaf freezes well. I have been making this for years, but originally found this in one of the "Best of the Best" series of US regional cookbooks.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 1 package instant butterscotch pudding mix (4 serving size)
- 1 package instant lemon pudding mix (4 serving size)
- 5 large eggs
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 354.88 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml fresh cooked pumpkin, mashed without any seasonings (or use canned puree)
- 14.79 ml real vanilla extract (really that much)
- Sift together first 8 ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, dry pudding mixes).
- Beat eggs well in another bowl.
- Add oil, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla to the eggs and mix well.
- Combine wet mixture with flour mixture gently by hand,pressing out any large lumps with your spoon, just until ingredients are moistened- do not overmix.
- Pour into 2 loaf pans (greased& floured) and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 1 hour to 1 hr 15 minutes (or when tests done with a toothpick).
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then let cool completely on wire racks- don't skip of your loaves will fall apart.
Excellent flavor and texture. I added about 1/4 tsp cloves and baked in mini pans. I got 5 loaves and they took 45 minutes to bake. I will be making this again!
This bread has a very unique texture...kind of between cake and quick bread. It turned out very moist and tasty. I only had vanilla pudding, so that's what I used and it still was very good. Can't wait to try it with the flavors listed and maybe add some nuts. P.S. My bake time was about 65 minutes and I used canned pumpkin. Thanks for sharing!!
great and super moist! These loaves weight a ton! I would never believe somthing so dense would be so good. Fresh pumpkin only for best results. thanks