Recipe by Elmotoo
No, not flan. This is flavored like Mexican hot chocolate! The addition of cream cheese makes it even richer & creamier. **HINT: my stand mixer did not combine the ingredients enough for my liking. I recommend a whisk or hand held electric mixer where you have more control.** Using cream cheese makes it a bit thicker and will hold up the mini chocolate bits. When they melt they give a bit of a marbled effect. :) Developed for RSC#15. Enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Beat together eggs & cream cheese until very well combined. Add brown sugar through salt & beat until very well combined. Add milk & combine thoroughly.
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the mini chocolate bits.
- Place in a larger dish & add water to a depth of 1/2 way up the sides of the dish with the custard.
- Bake for 30 minutes. It's ok if it's a little wobbly in the center. Depending on your oven, it may take a few minutes more (5-10).