This came from "The Great Big Burger Book," by Jane Murphy and Liz Yeh Singh. It makes a rich and tasty splurge of a hamburger. This would also be good served with a mustard-horseradish sauce. An English recipe brought across the ocean to end up in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic states.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean top sirloin steak
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- kaiser rolls or other good hot dog bun
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1CUT the beef into 1-inch chunks.
- 2Place in food processor in two batches and pulse until it's coarsely ground.
- 3(Don't overprocess; you want it a little chunky.) Put meat in a bowl and add the shallots, chives, mustard, Tabasco, egg yolks, Worcestershire, cognac, sea salt, capers and pepper.
- 4With very clean hands, work the ingredients into the meat, then form into three or four burgers about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- 5PLACE burgers in the refrigerator to chill and firm up while you start a fire in the grill.
- 6Grill over direct heat about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- 7Insert an instant-read thermometer from the side to make sure the center is 160 degrees.
- 8While burgers are grilling, brush the insides of the rolls with melted butter.
- 9Place on the grill, cut side down, to toast lightly.
- 10Serve with Brooklyn Ketchup and your favorite toppings.
- 11For Brooklyn Ketchup: BEAT all the ingredients together in a small bowl or cup.
- 12The authors note that the garlic flavor gets stronger if you let it stand for an hour, but don't make it more than 24 hours in advance.
- 13Makes about 1/4 cup.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Man's Hamburgers
Serving Size: 1 (702 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.8
- Calories from Fat 562
- Total Fat 62.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 447.1 mg
- Sodium 1412.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 67.8 g