Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very filling soup from the Perricone Diet book.
- 2 cups lentils
- 8 -10 cups vegetable broth or 8 -10 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 lb all-natural turkey sausage (or ground turkey) or 1 lb chicken sausage (or ground turkey)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 1 can, 15 ounces chopped or crushed tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- sea salt, to taste
- plain yogurt, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (flat leaved, if available)
- Wash and pick over the lentils (to make sure there are no stones) and bring to a boil in the broth or water in a large soup pot. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the garlic, onion, celery, and sausage for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable-sausage mixture and seasonings to the lentils. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped parsley for garnish.
This was so delicious. We used red lentils and chicken sausage and we didn't alter the recipe at all. It was very tasty and satisfying.
I first discovered this recipe in the Perricone Prescription and have been hooked ever since. I'm transitioning to a vegan diet and this recipe is great even without the meat.
Delicious and hearty soup. Very easy to do, the most difficult part was squeezing the meat from the casing. This is my first sausage soup and I am hooked. My daughter requested it again for lunch the next day. Thank you for a great recipe.