Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Adapted from Land 'o Lakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 8 ounces butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup buttermilk or 7 1⁄2 ounces milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar, add to milk if not using buttermilk (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 325°F Cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Combine all dry ingredients in another bowl, and whisk together lightly. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and combine until just moistened. Add ½ the buttermilk and combine. Add ½ the remaining dry mixture, then the remaining buttermilk, and lastly, the remaining dry mixture. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, just until all ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to high. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube (angel food cake) pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely. (I used two loaf pans, no flour and baked for 30-35 minutes. It gave the cakes a nice crusty buttery outside, more like a quickbread.).
- Stir together powdered sugar and enough lemon juice in small bowl for desired glazing consistency; drizzle over cooled cake.