Recipe by maryL in Canada
A very easy casserole. If you want to "lighten" it up just substitute cheeses to light or fat free.
Top Review by Christine Walraven
This was REALLY good, and aptly named as "rich" --the whole family loved it! I was a bit confused about the recipe as ingredient amounts were vague, but winged it and came out fine! I used an 8 oz package of cream cheese and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce (recipe did not specify). Also, it never said to brown the hamburger, but I of course did. I browned it with all the spices listed in the recipe and then added the tomato sauce and sugar before letting it simmer for 15 minutes. End result was a VERY tasty supper! We will make this one again, maybe with fat free cheeses next time. Tonite we used reduced fat and it was plenty rich & creamy. Thanks marylynne for a great supper dish!!!
- 3 cups cooked macaroni or 3 cups penne pasta
- 1 package cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian spices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix macaroni,cream cheese and cottage cheese put in greased (I use spray) 9"x 13" casserole dish.
- Mix hamburger, tomato sauce and spices.
- let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Put hamburger mixture evenly on top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of hamburger.
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes before cutting.