Recipe by kadiprimo
This recipe is from an old Taste of Home. It is a rich, beautiful tomato soup,and is always best made with homegrown romas. I have cut the butter in half from the original recipe, if you can believe it. I have also tried making this with half-and-half instead of cream, but you really can taste the difference. I have made this wusing either vegetarian broth (for my sister) and homemade chicken stock, with equal success.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs diced fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle, heat butter and oil over med-high heat. Add onions and seasonings, cooking until soft. Add tomatoes and paste. Simmer 10 minute.
- Place flour in small mixing bowl, whisk in ¼ Celsius broth. Stir into tomato mixture. Add remaining broth. Simmer at least 30 min., stirring frequently.
- Allow mixture to cool and run through food processor or use immersion blender. Return pureed mixture to the kettle. Add sugar and cream. Taste to adjust sweetness and seasoning. Heat through, stirring occasionally.