Recipe by pollen
Soooooo good - tastes just like a brownie should. Even the most experienced dessert eaters wouldn't guess they are vegan. Recipe from Vancouver magazine.
Top Review by pneumatic_sally
I made this in an 8X8 inch glass oven dish and it barely fit. It turned out more like chocolate cake than chocolate brownies. I am not complaining because it was excellent. Very moist and decadent. It reminded me of those premixed boxed cakes by DuncanHines or something. YUM! I highly recommend this recipe to anyone, vegan or not. Thanks for posting it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup brewed coffee
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, roasted and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup carob chips
Glaze for extra decadance
- 7 ounces dark Belgian chocolate (optional)
- 5 ounces margarine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coffee, soy milk, and oil.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix; then stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter (it will be quite liquidy) into a greased 9x9" pan and bake at 325º for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- (Note- for a smaller pan, the baking time could be substantially longer- a 7x10 pan took about 40 minutes).
- For glaze- melt the chocolate and margarine and whisk, then drizzle over brownies.
- (Note- this is a lot of glaze- an ounce of chocolate and a tablespoon of margarine makes a nice amount).