Take from the Healthy Cooking Sugar Free Cookbook. Fruit biscuits are always a firm favorite and do not need any added sugar when made with plenty of fruit.
- Mix flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in raisins and sunflower seeds.
- Combine eggs and ginger.
- Add beaten eggs to the flour mixture, mixing well to form a soft dough, add a little milk if dough is too stiff.
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Turn out dough and kneed until smooth.
- Roll dough out to approx 1/2in.
- Cut dough into 2in rounds.
- Place biscuits onto a greased cookie sheet and brush each one with an egg glaze (if using).
- Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
Simply delicious! . I made a 6 serving amount and used my biscuit cutter and they raised very well. I just loved the sunflower seeds, the crunch is great. My only change was to use a more heart healthy margarine for the butter and I added a rounded Tbsp of Splenda (just for personal taste). A real treat for Easter weekend and lovely with vanilla coffee :D.
What a wonderful breakfast biscuit! So fruity yet not overly sweet! I substituted cinnamon for the ginger but other than that followed the recipe exactly and my biscuits turned out perfectly! Thank you very much for sharing these, Sam #3. Made for PRMR February 09.