Recipe by ShaGun
Super-moist chocolate cake that starts from a mix. Adapted from Hellman's Super-Moist Chocolate Mayo Cake. Recipe from Country Living.
Top Review by berry271
Overall this was a good cake. The texture seemed a bit "spongy" to me and the frosting was way too rich for my tastes, but I did like the almondy flavor. I'm also not a huge coconut fan, but it was good this way. We started a new holiday tradition with this cake by decorating it as a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake. Before we opened our presents, we lit the candles on this and sang Happy Birthday to Jesus to help the kids understand what Christmas is about. So even though I'll probably try out a new recipe next year, thanks for inspiring a new tradition.<br/><br/>Ohhh... yes and I forgot to note, as you will see in the picture I prepared this as a rectangular 2 layer cake and not a circular 4 layer.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2 (16 ounce) containers chocolate frosting
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 8-inch cake pans with non-stock cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax or parchment paper and spray paper. Dust with flour; set aside.
- Cake: Beat devil’s food cake mix, cocoa, mayonnaise, eggs and water until blended. Beat two more minutes on high. Divide cake batter evenly into two pans.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until tests done. Cool for 20 minutes in pans and then remove onto racks. Peel off paper to cool completely.
- Filling: Whisk frosting, sour cream and vanilla. Transfer 1 1/2 cups into a medium bowl and stir in almonds and coconut; set aside.
- Frost the Cake: Using a serrated knife, split each cake in half. Place one layer, split side down, on serving platter. Place 1/3 of filling on top of layer and spread evenly. Repeat with following layers until final cake layer. Spread frosting over the top and sides of cake. Can store up to 4 days.