2 hrs 45 mins
A sweet, smooth, egg-tasting custard in a light, flaky pastry. Taken from the cookbook, "Company's Coming: Weekend Cooking". Prep time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold lard, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold hard margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1Tart Pastry: Process flour, lard and margarine in food processor with the on/off motion until lard and margarine are pea sized.
- 2Beat egg yolk and ice water in small cup with fork.
- 3Remove food processor cover and pour water mixture over flour mixture.
- 4Secure cover; process with on/off motion several times until mixture comes together.
- 5Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- 6Shape into ball then flatten into disc shape.
- 7Wrap in plastic wrap.
- 8Chill at least 1 hour.
- 9Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 10Cut into 3 1/2 inch circles with floured cutter.
- 11Line tart or muffin pan with circles.
- 12Custard: Stir sugar and custard powder in small saucepan.
- 13Slowly add water until smooth.
- 14Heat and stir on medium until just starting to boil and sugar is dissolved.
- 15Pour into small bowl.
- 16Cool, stirring several times.
- 17Stir in cream and food colouring.
- 18Beat each egg individually in a small cup with fork.
- 19Stir into custard mixture, 1 at a time.
- 20Fill tart shells to within 1/4 inch of top.
- 21Bake on bottom rack in 300 degree F (150 degree C) oven for about 45 minutes until knife inserted in centre of tart comes out clean and custard is set.
- 22Let stand in pan for 10 minutes before removing tarts.
- 23Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Egg Custard Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 115.8 mg
- Sodium 72.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: