Just what it sounds like. I'm a bit of a health nut, but when I was a kid, I loved hot chocolate. This isn't Belgian Dark Hot Chocolate of Sumptuous Death, but it's way better than a mix, almost as easy, and way more adaptable...plus, it's as high quality as the ingredients you use. The cornstarch thickens it wonderfully without altering the flavor, trust me. Plus, with a bit more cornstarch, it can become a killer pudding.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/4 tablespoons hershey's cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (optional) or 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup espresso (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps (optional)
- 1Mix the cornstarch and cold water. Set it at your side.
- 2Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and milk over low heat.
- 3Raise the heat can continue whisking, adding the vanilla and your chosen options.
- 4Slowly add the cornstarch mixture, raise heat just a bit more, and whisk vigorously until the mixture becomes nice and creamy.
- 5Options I recommend: Cinnamon and nutmeg for spiced hot chocolate, cinnamon and chili powder for Mexican hot chocolate, almond extract and Kahlua for amaretto, mint leaves and Bailey's for creamy mint hot chocolate -- the possibilities are endless.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich, Creamy, And....healthy Hot Chocolate???
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.9
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 4.9 mg
- Sodium 147.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 11.0 g