Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Highlanders Cookbook... " ...and please remember that the word scone is pronounced to rhyme with "gone" not "bone"! "
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup chopped raisins
- 1 egg white
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar.
- Cut in butter using pastry cutter or rubbing with fingers.
- Mix in egg and cream with a fork (add a bit a water if needed. Dough schould be slightly sticky).
- Stir in currents/raisins.
- Traditional method: Turn out on lightly floured board and pat out in a circle with dough 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut in 12 wedges.
- Drop method: Drop by spoonsful unto greased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes.