Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I have made this a couple times now and it's time to make it again! From "The Big Book of Soups & Stews". I have used FF half and half and it turned out well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peel and chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, sub. broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half, sub. FF half and half, see note
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and diced, approx 2-3 1/2 breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot. Saute' for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute' until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add flour and stir until bubbly.
- Add stock, thyme, salt and pepper; stir until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add half and half and chicken and simmer, uncovered,until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
- NOTE: FF half and half can be used or combine with the real thing for a lighter alternative.