1/4 Photos of Rich Christmas Fruitcake
5 hrs 20 mins
Samuel Holden's Note:
A very very rich fruitcake...perfect for Christmas, just remember, the longer it sits in the tin, the tastier it will be.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g currants
- 175 g sultanas
- 175 g raisins
- 50 g glace cherries, chopped
- 50 g candied fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 225 g flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 225 g butter
- 225 g soft brown sugar, the gooey sort
- 4 large eggs
- 50 g chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- lemon, rind of
- orange, rind of
- orange, juice of
- 1The night before you cook this place all the fruit fruit peel and nuts into a bowl and soak for 12 hours in the brandy and orange juice; Stir every time you go into the kitchen!
- 2pre-heat oven to 275ºF/140ºC.
- 3Grease and line with greaseproof paper an 8 inch/20cm round cake tin.
- 4Sift the flour salt and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- 5In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar together until the mixtures fluffy.
- 6Beat the eggs and add them a little at a time.
- 7Fold in the flour and spices.
- 8Stir in the fruit that has been soaking along with any excess liquid.
- 9Mix in the treacle.
- 10Spoon into the cake tin and spread out evenly.
- 11Cover the cake with a double square of greaseproof paper with a small hole in the top.
- 12Bake the cake on the lower shelf for 4& 1/4- 3/4 hours.
- 13When the cake is cold wrap in double greaseproof paper and store in an airtight tin.
- 14Feed the cake every two days for the first 2 weeks with a spoonful of brandy and/or orange juice and/or glacè cherry syrup.
- 15First poke little holes in the cake with a knitting needle or a skewer.
- 16Come Christmas you will have a very very rich fruit cake.
- 17Use royal icing to ice it or almond paste and royal icing, I don't like almond paste!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Christmas Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (2758 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 912.4
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 165.8 mg
- Sodium 401.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 150.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 111.7 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: