Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
I love chocolate...this is a very dark rich chocolate mousse whith a lovely sweet, and slightly acid, dark fruit jam at the bottom. The mousse is adapted from Delia Smith's "Complete Cookery Course, Classic Edition" (Pub. BBC, Ed. 2000). As an alternative you can use mint in stead of fruit. Boil half a cup of fresh mint in water, add 1/2 a cup of sugar and a Tsp of cornflour. Boil
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (highest cocoa content possible)
- 4 eggs, sparated
- 6 sponge cakes, cut to the size of the ramekins
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (or cherry brandy or black cherry juice, or fresh orange juice)
- 6 ounces dark mixed fruit (rasberrys, blackcurrants, mulberries, blackberries, etc)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream (Optional, to serve)
- grated chocolate (, Optional, to serve)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (or agar agar, not sure on the proportion though)
- In a heavy based pan place the fruit, the water and 2 Tbsp Brandy (or juice, if you prefer).
- Heat until just under boiling, add sugar and Cornflour, stir and boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat if too much liquid is evaporating.
- In 4 small Ramekin dishes, place the sponge cake and drench in brandy (Use a fresh fruit juice if you dont want to use alcohol, but use less).
- Cover with the"jam" you have just made.
- Set aside and refrigerate when cool.
- Break chocolate into a glass bowl and heat over a Bain Marie until it melts, remove from heat and place on a damp cloth so you can beat the mixture without it slipping around.
- Beat the egg yolks and add them to the chocolate, beating thoroughly until it is homogenized.
- Add kirsch, brandy or juice and beat again.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat up the egg whites till the soft peak stage, then fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the mousse over the chilled sponge and jam in the ramekins.
- Cover with foil and chill for at least 2 hours (or if your in a hurry shove'em in the freezer for 20 minutes and then put them in the fridge, not as nice but ok in an emergency).
- To serve add a dollop of whipped cream and some shaved chocolate.
we ate this when we went to see sam a couple of weeks ago and it is superb. It was gorgeously gooey.
Oh my Sam wasn't this just wonderful?