Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
You can pay in the double digits for it at a restaurant or buy an inferior packet version to serve at home, but there's nothing difficult about making your own indulgent chocolate mousse. Quality ingredients are important and dark chocolate is infinitely preferable to milk chocolate. Look for a chocolate with about 70 per cent cocoa solids for a real chocolate zing. Cooking time is refrigerator time. Found on www.stuff.co.nz
- 300 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chocolate in a food processor and process until finely grated.
- In a large saucepan, heat cream to just below boiling point. Gradually add cream to chocolate while food processor is still operating. Then add rum and mix until smooth.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold egg white mixture through chocolate mixture.
- Whip extra cream until soft peaks form and fold through chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into eight serving glasses. Refrigerate overnight.