Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These taste almost like a brownie, they rise nice and high with a wonderful texture...this recipe makes two loaves
Top Review by Nika The Mad Baker
This was pretty damn amazingly awesome. I upped the vanilla to 4 tsp considering i was using imitation and i always do that when i use imitation and upped the instant coffee granules to 4 tbsp. Plus i made my own buttermilk because i forgot to defrost mine that i had in the fridge. It was insane, it burned a bit in one pan but think it was my ovens fault. Other than that, it was perfect.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco is good)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup very hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sifted baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Generously grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or 6 mini loaf pans (for greasing see my Pan Release posted on this site).
- In a large bowl cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until fluffy; add in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition scraping the bowl frequently.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in hot water.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add alternately with coffee and buttermilk to the creamed mixture, beating until well blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally between well-greased prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 1 hour (for 9x5-in) or 40 minutes (for mini loaf pans).
- Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.