Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oh, what a incredible cookie recipe!
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons finely ground dark-roast coffee beans
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 2 large, heavy baking sheets.
- In double boiler (or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water): melt the unsweetened chocolate,1 cup chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth.
- Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
- In bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs, sugar and coffee on high speed until very thick and pale and forms ribbon when beaters are lifted (about 3 minutes).
- Beat in chocolate mixture.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt; stir until just combined.
- Stir in remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- Bake in batches in middle of oven 8-10 minutes, or until puffed and cracked on top.
- Cool cookies in baking sheets 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
I just made these cookies. They are amazing. Because they are so very rich and flavorfull, I made them quite small, teaspoon size, and got 4 dozen. Thank you for the recipe.
ALso I had one adaptation. I melted some chocolate chips and used it as a frosting for on top of the cookies.