Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Rich Chocolate Caramel Cupcake Recipe courtesy: Lisa Cowden Show: Cupcake Wars Episode: Survival of the Fittest
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 9 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
CARAMEL CREAM CENTER
- 6 ounces egg whites, from about 5 whole eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 lb unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
AGAVE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 ounce sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light agave nectar
- 5 ounces cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 24 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- ice, bath in shallow bowl
- prepared blue rock sugar, For Garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Line 30 regular-size cupcake or muffin cups with paper cupcake liners or line 6 dozen (72) mini cupcake or mini muffin cups with mini cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour baking soda, and salt. Sift the cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Whisk the hot water into the cocoa until smooth. In bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter well. Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and add the cocoa mixture. Beat just until smooth. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4-full and bake the regular-size cupcakes for 20 minutes, or until cooked through or bake the mini cupcakes for 19 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and let cool completely. Fill with CARAMEL CREAM CENTER and top with GANACHE FROSTING and the prepared Blue Rock Sugar.
- AGAVE CARAMEL SAUCE:.
- In a small saucepan, heat the water over high heat until hot but not boiling. Add the sugar and the agave and stir gently to dissolve. Bring the mixture to a boil, and heat to 330°F, or to a warm brown color. Add the cream slowly, whisking constantly, the caramel will bubble and rise. Add the butter and continue whisking over the heat until the caramel is smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Chill the mixture to thicken.
- CARAMEL CREAM CENTER:.
- Warm the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler, stirring the egg mixture until the sugar dissolves and the mixture feels warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and whip until medium-stiff peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add the softened butter and vanilla until thick and smooth. Fold in the Agave Caramel Sauce until fully incorporated. Place the CARAMEL CREAM CENTER in a pastry bag fitted with pastry tip and filled the cooled cupcakes.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream to scald. Add the chocolate chips. Stir the mixture until smooth. Chill on the ice bath until a spreadable consistency, stirring frequently. Frost the filled cupcakes with the CHOCOLATE GANACHE and garnish with the prepared rock sugar.