1/2 Photos of Rich Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Baker's Dozen Cookbook (I made some minor changes). This recipe makes a wonderful and moist cake with a velvety and smooth texture. All in one bowl too! I fill the layers with Mean Chef's Mousseline Buttercream (flavored with coconut), then glaze with Chocolate Butter Glaze (Chocolate Butter Glaze). To die for!! (I made only half the recipe for a birthday cake, and it's plenty for 8 people)
My Private Note
9inch l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (good quality)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten,at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350F.
- 2Line the bottoms of two 9x2-inch round pans with parchment paper.
- 3Melt chocolate in microwave (LOW or MED), stirring occasionally until smooth.
- 4You may use a double boiler too (make sure water is HOT, not simmering).
- 5Cool chocolate until tepid.
- 6Sift flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 7Add brown sugar.
- 8Using a paddle blade on electric mixer, combine the ingredients on low speed.
- 9Add butter and sour cream.
- 10Mix on med-low speed for 1 min to make a thick batter.
- 11Add eggs, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- 12Increase speed to high and beat for 2 mins.
- 13Stop and scrape down the bowl.
- 14Resume mixing at med-high, for about 5 sec.
- 15Reduce speed to low and slowly pour in the water just until thoroughly blended.
- 16Spoon batter into prepared pans and spread it evenly.
- 17Bake until tops spring back when pressed lightly in the centers and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 30-35 mins.
- 18Transfer to cooling racks and cool for 10 mins.
- 19Invert onto racks and remove pans.
- 20Peel off the parchment and cool the cakes right side up.
- 21NOTE: The cake can be baked 1 day in advance.
- 22Wrap the cooled cake layers tightly with plastic wrap to store.
- 23Or to freeze, over-wrapped with foil, for up to 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 222.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 4.0 g