Top Review by Terrylynn
I found the cake to be to dry and lacking in flavor: which surprised me as I did follow the instruction to a T. I did ice the cake with a butter icing. Don't think I'll make again. Sorry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- silky chocolate butter frosting (Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 13 by 9" baking pan or three 8-inch round cake pans.
- In medium bowl,combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended.
- Increase speed to high; beat until lght and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium-low; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Mixture may appear grainy.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat until batter is smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes for 13 by 9" cake or about 30 minutes for 8-inch layers.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Run thin knife around cake to loosen from sides of pan.
- Invert cake or layers onto rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting.
- Wait to spread frosting on cake until cake is completely cooled.