Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious and moist chocolate cake that is sure to please! Prep time includes cooling time. Cook time varies according to pan size. Frost with Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 13 by 9" baking pan or three 8-inch round cake pans.
- In medium bowl,combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended.
- Increase speed to high; beat until lght and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium-low; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Mixture may appear grainy.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat until batter is smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes for 13 by 9" cake or about 30 minutes for 8-inch layers.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Run thin knife around cake to loosen from sides of pan.
- Invert cake or layers onto rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting.
- Wait to spread frosting on cake until cake is completely cooled.