Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Very Rich! Tweaked from a Hersey's recipe! Make 2 pies or one and scoop the rest into bowls or use for a trifle.
- 2 (18 inch) pie crusts, baked and cooled
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 709.77 ml milk
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine, softened
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml hershey's special dark chocolate chips
- 473.18 ml whipping cream
- 88.45 g box instant banana pudding mix
- Place banana slices in bottom of cooled baked pie shell.
- Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2 quart Pyrex measuring cup.
- Combine egg yolks and milk add to dry ingredients.
- Cook in micro, whisking occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Microwave for 1 minute more.
- Remove from micro, whisk pie mixture smooth.
- Whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Add 2 cups chocolate chips, stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
- Pour into prepared pie shell over bananas.
- Meanwhile whip whipping cream and pudding for 1-2 minutes at medium speed.
- Spread on top of chocolate filling.
- Refrigerate covered several hours or overnight.
Delicious and easy--a perfect combination for desert! I cheated a bit by using a frozen pie crust and regular milk chocolate chips which still resulted in a pie that had us fighting for the last piece and licking the pie dish clean. By the way instead of boiling the milk mixture in the microwave I used a saucepan and it came out fine. Thanks Rita for sharing this delicious desert which we will be having regularly.
I made this for my husband for Thanksgiving. It was the first pie I ever made and it was a definite hit! Thank you for the great recipe!
This was really great...a big hit with my kids. I used a chocolate cookie crust with this (the ingredients actually made enough for 2 pies). Rich and creamy with a good balance between the banana and chocolate flavors.