Recipe by Brittney_B
This rich cake has a chewy crisp crust just like a brownie. It's soft melt-in-your-mouth centre is speckled with delicious chocolate chips and walnuts making it a perfectly indulgent treat. The long baking time is what gives this cake its crunchy outer crust and moist centre so don't let it put you off! For a twist, halve the baking time and try using muffin tins for smaller portable treats.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 225 g butter
- 500 g dark cooking chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- icing sugar, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the walnuts in an oven set at 180°C for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and skins have begun to crack.
- Allow the walnuts to cool then coarsely chop and set aside.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate in a microwave container and stir until smooth . Allow mixture to cool slightly then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and white sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir.
- Stir in the flour, salt, walnuts and chocolate chips. Mixture should be quite thick.
- Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin, pour in cake mixture and then smooth the surface.
- Bake in a fan-forced oven at 180°C for between 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.