Recipe by dbkowalchuk
This is a recipe my Mom and Gramma used, and comes from an old Mennonite cookbook, and yields TONS of delicious cookies for sharing among friends, family, work or the kids' school. **The bake time you select will determine softness, so if you like a softer cookie, do NOT over bake this recipe! ***This cookie recipe is extremely rich and perhaps not diet-friendly, so definitely best used as a holiday treat!
Top Review by mariaedge67
I have only put the mix together and it smells heavenly! I can't wait to see how they turn out! Ok later...1st batch is YUMMMY soft (so if you want thin crisp this is not for you) and deeeelishus! Perfect at 9 mins (dunno how accurate my oven is)
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar (white sugar works, too!)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix sugar and all wet ingredients in one bowl, and all other dry ingredients in another (so that spices, soda, flour are well blended); then combine the two.
- If desired, refrigerate dough for a couple of hours or overnight, to allow for easier handling, but this is not necessary.
- Roll into 1" balls, dip in sugar (optional!), and bake for 8-10 minutes.