Many Challah breads either have too many eggs or just not enough. This recipe has just the right amount, about 1 egg per cup of flour. This recipe can also be done on the dough cycle in your bread machine and finished by hand. Best of all it makes THE BEST French toast! Cooking time does not include rising time.
My Private Note
LARGE L ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup milk, for more richness
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons oil, makes it more cake like
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (OR AMOUNT SPECIFIED BY YOUR YEAST PER CUP OF FLOUR) or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (OR AMOUNT SPECIFIED BY YOUR YEAST PER CUP OF FLOUR)
- 1In bread machine add to bread pan in order suggested by manufacturer, select dough setting, press start.
- 2After beep, remove risen dough and follow directions on how to shape and bake below.
- 3In Kitchen-aid stand mixer or like devise mix dry ingredients in bowl and turn on low speed to incorporate.
- 4Add eggs one at a time, allow to mix in before adding next one, then add oil.
- 5Turn mixer up to next speed (2 on Kitchen-aid), add milk in a slow stream, knead until soft, smooth, and warm, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Grease a bowl and place dough in bowl turning to coat.
- 7Allow to rest and rise until double in size.
- 8***Shaping and baking***.
- 9Punch down and turn out risen dough onto a lightly oiled surface, let rest 5 minutes, punching dough down gets it all excited, it needs to sit and relax.
- 10Shape dough into a log and cut off 1/3; set aside.
- 11Cut remaining dough into 3 pieces and roll into 18 inch ropes, start braid from middle and braid to one end, pinch together and tuck under, repeat with other side.
- 12Cut set aside dough into 3 pieces and roll out to 13-15 inches long, repeat braiding method and place smaller braid on top of larger braid.
- 13Grease a large 1/2 sheet baking sheet and place finished braid sideways from corner to corner.
- 14Allow to rise until almost double, mix glaze ingredients and brush loaf gently.
- 15Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes, cover loosely with foil 15-20 minutes into baking to avoid over browning.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Challah (Braided Egg Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.9
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 76.4 mg
- Sodium 255.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 6.1 g