Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Many Challah breads either have too many eggs or just not enough. This recipe has just the right amount, about 1 egg per cup of flour. This recipe can also be done on the dough cycle in your bread machine and finished by hand. Best of all it makes THE BEST French toast! Cooking time does not include rising time.
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup milk, for more richness
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons oil, makes it more cake like
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast (OR AMOUNT SPECIFIED BY YOUR YEAST PER CUP OF FLOUR) or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (OR AMOUNT SPECIFIED BY YOUR YEAST PER CUP OF FLOUR)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- In bread machine add to bread pan in order suggested by manufacturer, select dough setting, press start.
- After beep, remove risen dough and follow directions on how to shape and bake below.
- In Kitchen-aid stand mixer or like devise mix dry ingredients in bowl and turn on low speed to incorporate.
- Add eggs one at a time, allow to mix in before adding next one, then add oil.
- Turn mixer up to next speed (2 on Kitchen-aid), add milk in a slow stream, knead until soft, smooth, and warm, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Grease a bowl and place dough in bowl turning to coat.
- Allow to rest and rise until double in size.
- ***Shaping and baking***.
- Punch down and turn out risen dough onto a lightly oiled surface, let rest 5 minutes, punching dough down gets it all excited, it needs to sit and relax.
- Shape dough into a log and cut off 1/3; set aside.
- Cut remaining dough into 3 pieces and roll into 18 inch ropes, start braid from middle and braid to one end, pinch together and tuck under, repeat with other side.
- Cut set aside dough into 3 pieces and roll out to 13-15 inches long, repeat braiding method and place smaller braid on top of larger braid.
- Grease a large 1/2 sheet baking sheet and place finished braid sideways from corner to corner.
- Allow to rise until almost double, mix glaze ingredients and brush loaf gently.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes, cover loosely with foil 15-20 minutes into baking to avoid over browning.
Will be making this bread again! CHEATED & used ole Faithful (11 yo Panasonic Bread machine) for dough - had to add an additional 3/4 cup of water as Ole Faithful was initially losing the battle. Divided this dough after 2 hour bread cycle into 12 pieces which I glazed, slashed & allowed to rise again until doubled ( abit more b/c got to yakking with a friend..). Baked for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F. These turned out beautifully! Perfect texture, Perfect sandwich or hamburger size! Thanks for the keeper recipe!
Very good Challah recipe! My husband loved this one. Made a nice large Challah.