Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not a low cal sauce, but it is oh so good!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, diced
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb pasta, any kind
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Saute shallots and onion until softened. Move it to one side of the pan and add bacon to the other side of pan. Cook until bacon is browned. Stir shallots, onions and bacon together and add garlic to the mixture, cook for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain pasta and return to the pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cream and Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Pour the bacon mixture over the pasta, then stir in the cream mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- I usually use penne or fettuccini pasta.
My whole family enjoyed this meal. We made a few alterations by substituting half & half for heavy cream, bacon drippings for olive oil, and parmesan for the parmi-reggiano. To brighten it up a bit, I added peas, broccoli, and lemon zest. The kids licked their plates clean. We also used gluten-free spaghetti so everyone could have some.