Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is a big favorite--brownie and caramel in a muffin cup make this a wonderful, elegant decorative treat. Most of all, it is decadent! Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup whole almond (with skins)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In shallow baking pan, toast the almonds in 1 layer in center of oven until fragrant, about 12 minutes; let cool.
- In a processor, finely grind 1/2 cup almonds with flour and salt; reserve remaining almonds for topping.
- Finely chop the chocolate.
- In small saucepan, melt butter; remove pan from heat and add chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- In bowl, combine chocolate mixture, almond mixture, sugar and eggs; mix well.
- Chill dough just until firm, 30 minutes or so. Roll level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls.
- Lightly press balls into 32 1/8-cup mini-muffin cups (1 3/4 inch across top, 3/4 inch deep).
- Using your thumb, make a 1/3-inch deep indentation in center of each ball; chill shell 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling: In dry 3 quart heavy saucepan, cook sugar over moderately low heat.
- Stir slowly with fork (to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel without stirring, gently swirling pan, until deep golden; remove pan from heat.
- Carefully pour corn syrup and cream down side of pan (will vigorously steam and caramel will harden).
- Simmer the mixture, stirring, until caramel is dissolved and then stir in vanilla and salt.
- Transfer caramel filling to a glass measure and cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour warm filling into each shell until level with top of shell (careful--don't overfill!).
- Chill brownie cups, loosely covered, at least 2 hours, or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350° and bake in center of oven 10 minutes or until caramel begins to bubble.
- Transfer pans to a rack, top with reserved almonds and cool completely in pans.
- Using a sharp thin knife, loosen brownie cups and lift out of pans.