This was my great aunt's recipe and it was originally called "Caramel Pudding". Puddings may have evolved into something different from what they were 100 years ago and I didn't want to cause any confusion, so I changed the title to reflect the outcome. This is so easy and really rich. A little bit goes a long way!
- Boil the syrup ingredients in a saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Blend the dry ingredients together.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until grainy[I just pinch everything until it all feels about the same size grains].
- Add the milk and stir lightly until mixed.
- Pour the syrup into a medium baking dish (9"x9") and drop soup spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into the syrup.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- When it is done, flip the dumplings over so the crispy side will soak up more of the yummy stuff.