Recipe by Rita~
Who wouldn't enjoy a sweet, creamy, cheesecake with yummy caramel flavoring it. The garnish is optional. I also added fresh whipped cream.
Top Review by KET11182
This recipe is awesome! I've made it several times and I have discovered an interesting tip for making the garnish. Rather than pouring the sugar mixture into two circles on a cookie sheet and have to sit there and cut them, grease a cupcake pan and pour a little mixture into each little circle! It gives you perfect circle sugar glass pieces for you to decorate your cheesecake with!
For the crust
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
For the caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
For the cheesecake
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, one cup packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream, well chilled
Garnish Caramel Panes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust:.
- Combine butter and crumbs, mixing well with a fork. Press into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- For the caramel:.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add zest and stir well. Cover with a lid and cook until sugar turns a medium amber color, about 3-6 minutes after mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir 30 seconds. Slowly stir in cream, being careful to avoid spatters. Set aside.
- For the cheesecake:.
- Beat cream cheese and both sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating on lowest speed of mixer just until incorporated.
- Pour two-thirds of batter over crust. remove zest from caramel and beat caramel mixture into remaining batter. Pour caramel batter over plain batter in pan and swirl mixtures with a rubber spatula.
- Place in center of the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until edges are firm but middle still Wiggles. Remove from oven and cool. Chill.
- Beat the 1 cup whipping cream till stiff and spraed on chilled cake.
- OPTIONAL --.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil until mixture is light brown and a small amount dropped in cold water forms a brittle ball. Remove from heat and immediately pour into 2 9-inch circles, on a well-buttered cookie sheet pan.
- When the caramel starts to harden, cut each circle into six wedges a sharp knife. As caramel continues to harden, recut the wedges several times.
- Slide the tip of a sharp knife under a wedge and remove from plate.
- Place on a buttered cookie sheet to continue cooling. Continue with remaining panes. Some may break. Save six of the most attractive panes for the decoration.
- Just before serving, placing panes vertically into the cheesecake.