Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the best butterscotch dessert recipes around. Beware, these won't last long!
Make and share this Rich Butterscotch Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 32 squares)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 13x9-in baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe dish, heat the butterscotch chips and butter until melted about 1-1/2-2 mins, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Add the cracker crumbs to the melted butter and melted butterscotch chips; set aside 2/3 cup.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into greased prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sweetened milk, egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour over the crust.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, or until bars tests for done.
- Cool, cut in bars.
- Store in the refrigerator.
I made these tonight for dessert. I left out the pecans since I didn't have any, but next time I will use some type of nut. They really need a salty element to balance out the sweetness. I would strongly recommend using salted nuts or sprinkling a bit of salt on the crust before pouring the cream cheese mixture over it. I sprinkled these with a couple of pinches of salt afterward, which might sound weird, but it worked! I agree with the previous review that these are more of a cheescake dessert and less of a "bar" in the the conventional sense of the word, but whatever they're called, they're very good!
These were really good, but they're less like a bar and more like a cheescake dessert. I made them to take on a hike, and they didn't prove to be very portable (although nobody minded messy fingers from scooping up crumbs because they were soooooo yummy. I had to bake them about 15 minutes longer than the recipe said, and I skipped the pecans, as I didn't have any. Still yummy though, will make again!