Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the best butterscotch dessert recipes around. Beware, these won't last long!
Make and share this Rich Butterscotch Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 13x9-in baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe dish, heat the butterscotch chips and butter until melted about 1-1/2-2 mins, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Add the cracker crumbs to the melted butter and melted butterscotch chips; set aside 2/3 cup.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into greased prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sweetened milk, egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour over the crust.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, or until bars tests for done.
- Cool, cut in bars.
- Store in the refrigerator.
I made these tonight for dessert. I left out the pecans since I didn't have any, but next time I will use some type of nut. They really need a salty element to balance out the sweetness. I would strongly recommend using salted nuts or sprinkling a bit of salt on the crust before pouring the cream cheese mixture over it. I sprinkled these with a couple of pinches of salt afterward, which might sound weird, but it worked! I agree with the previous review that these are more of a cheescake dessert and less of a "bar" in the the conventional sense of the word, but whatever they're called, they're very good!
These were really good, but they're less like a bar and more like a cheescake dessert. I made them to take on a hike, and they didn't prove to be very portable (although nobody minded messy fingers from scooping up crumbs because they were soooooo yummy. I had to bake them about 15 minutes longer than the recipe said, and I skipped the pecans, as I didn't have any. Still yummy though, will make again!