Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has lots of Indian flavors and spices. Do try this at home - it's simple and easy to cook. Tips: dry fruits like Raisins, Cashews can also be added towards the end while cooking the bhaji.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 green chilies
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons refined oil
- 1 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup beans
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup carrot
- 6 potatoes
- 1 cup green capsicum
- 2 cups onion paste
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 teaspoons pav bhaji masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves
- 12 whole grain buns
- Boil potatoes separately, after boiling remove them in plate. Cut each potato into two halves & allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Peel and mash them while sprinkling a pinch of asafoetida, salt and some fresh chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Boil all the vegetables (Fresh peas, beans, cauliflower, carrots and 2 chopped green chillies). While boiling add little salt and a pinch of asafoetida. Once done, keep it aside.
- Grind Green Capsicum into fine paste.
- In a pan, heat refined oil & add 2 teaspoons of salted butter. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, 3 green chillies (finely chopped) and capsicum paste. Mix it well and cook for 2 minutes.Add onion paste and a pinch of salt. Simmer it till the paste turns to light golden brown in colour.
- To the mixture,add mashed potatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Pav Bhaji Masala, Amchur powder and ½ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves. You may add a salt to taste. Cook till all flavours of the ingredients mix well and you get the whiff of the spicy aroma.
- Add boiled vegetables to the masala & mix well. Cook for 2 minutes and then mash all the vegetables into a coarsely ground paste. Add tomato purée and lime juice. Mix well and cook for another 10 minutes.
- While the Bhaji is getting cooked, cut the Whole wheat buns from centre and apply little butter. Heat them on the pan till both sides turn to light golden brown in colour.
- Serve bhaji in a bowl and garnish with chopped onions or onion rings, sprinkle few chopped fresh coriander leaves and a small cube of butter to top. You may place slices of lime alongside for visual appeal.
- Serve the hot and spicy Bhaji alongside the whole wheat buns.
- Happy Cooking….