Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Everyone has their favorite butter cake recipe. This one is mine. Found it in old recipe file that belonged to my mother-in-law.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted, cooled
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and 1 cup butter in large bowl at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until creamy. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with 1 cup milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat 1/2 cup butter and cooled chocolate in large bowl at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternately with 1/4 cup milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla and scraping bowl occasionally, until well mixed. Frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with decorator sprinkles, if desired.
- TIP: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional milk to frosting for desired spreading consistency.
- TIP: This cake is very versatile. Frost the cake or, leave unfrosted and top each serving with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
This cake got really great reviews from DS for his birthday cake of choice. As well as from the guests. Wonderfully moist and I love the taste of the vanilla which really comes thru nicely. Thanks for posting a winner birthday cake recipe that will most definitely be made for other's.~
Tasted like a pancake to me. A very good pancake, but a pancake none the less.
This was a light buttery cake that we enjoyed very much. I did make it in 2 round cake pans instead of one 9x13 pan. I filled it with some strawberries and whipped cream and topped with Chocolate Sour Cream frosting (Recipe #64550) by Dee514. Thanks so much.