Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is a satisfying vegetable stock made rich and delicious with lentils, leeks, and potato. It's suitable for vegan meals, and makes an excellent stock in which to cook rice. And it's my vegetable stock of choice for my own Five Lily Soup!
Top Review by Bergy
Excellent veggie stock I doubled this recipe to use in your 5 Lily soup - I hated to throw out the strained veggies so I refrigerated them and will combine them with tomato juice and blend well to make a kind of poor mans V8 Juice. This will be an excellent stock to keep in the freezer for quick soups Thanks Ed's girl for a keeper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 small russet potato, chopped,with peel
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce or 1⁄2 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 6 sprigs parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute leeks, carrots, celery, potato and garlic until slightly browned.
- Add 5 cups water and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
- Strain and cool; can easily be frozen and recipe is easily doubled.