Prep 30 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
adapted from a vintage newspaper clipping.-please note that the veggies are very tender-if you like crisper veggies than add 1/2 hour before serving the stew. Nice served with egg noodles.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 carrots, quartered
for thickening gravy
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices white bread, cut into triangles and buttered
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Brown meat in 2 tb hot oil.
- Add rest of ingredients and bring to bubbling over medium heat.
- Simmer 3 + hours over low/medium ( it should be bubbly but not burning), stirring occasionally to keep from sticking
- Remove meat and vegetables, thicken liquid for gravy. (Use 4 tblsp. flour blended with 3 tblsp. fat and 1 teasp. Worcestershire sauce.).
- Place meat, veggies and gravy in shallow casserole, arrange bread triangles around edge and sprinkle top with cheese. Brown under broiler.