Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my dad's "famous" chili. It is so meaty and yummy. It does not have any beans in it - like traditional Texas chili. The recipe can be cut in half for smaller families - or make the whole batch and freeze the unused portion or use leftovers for chili-cheese dip. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 1⁄2 medium onions
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 minced fresh garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jalapeno, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs ground round or 4 lbs other lean beef
- 8 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces beer
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- Chop the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and mince the garlic clove.
- Heat the vegetable oil on med-high heat and saute the onions, peppers, celery stalk, jalapeno, and garlic until they are soft and onions are translucent.
- Add the beef and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- When finished cooking, spoon any excess oil from beef mixture and transfer the beef mixture to a soup/chili pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and the beer. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add the chili powder mixture from the bowl to the beef mixture in the soup pot.
- Next add the water, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced green chilies, and bay leaf to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- I serve it with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It's also good with Fritos, crackers, or as just plain chili!
This is fantastic chili, especially when sprinkles with cheese and fritos on top. My family really loves it. I have made it several times and it is hard to mess up. I recommend the use of lean meat since it is such a meaty chili.
Yum! Very meaty and tasty chili!