Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is my pot roast recipe altered to be done in the crock pot.**Warning, this has tons of flavor! I like a lot of vegetables with my roast but don't want them cooking all day into a vegie mash. So in this recipe I add them after the roast has cooked. I find I can go to work all day while the roast is cooking, come home at 5ish and remove the roast, let that rest while the vegies cook. Delicious served as is or with garlic bread and a green salad.
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, I like Hunt's brand
- 1 cup beef stock, homemade preferred
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 large carrots, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in halves
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- Massage your roast with the seasonings.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, add the bacon grease and get that smoky hot.
- Sear the roast on all sides.
- Add the wine, diced tomatoes with the liquid from the can, and beef stock to the crock pot along with the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast and place in a covered dish on the side.
- Add all the vegetables to the crock pot, cover and cook on high 1.5 hours, or until done to your likeness.
- Slice the roast and serve with all the vegetables and sauce.
This was Full of Flavor!!! It made the whole house smell so good. The roast was very moist and fell apart so easy. My kids loved it. The only thing I wasn't able to do was sear the roast in the bacon fat since I didn't have any on hand nor did I even have bacon to fry up and use that fat. We had leftovers in tortilla shells which made awesome beef tacos!!! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!