Recipe by Trinkets
I have been trying for a rich, beefy, flavorful pot roast for years and unable to create exactly that until now. Finally! This roast is a simple cut of beef, inexpensive and full of flavor. This is a slow braising process in the oven. I added carrots, onions, and garlic in the last 1.5 hours and served with Creamy and Simple Mashed Potatoes for a wonderful Sunday night dinner.
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock, homemade preferred
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 large carrots, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Massage the roast with the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet with bacon grease and sear the roast on all sides until browned.
- In a Dutch oven add the roast and pour in the wine.
- Place in the oven, covered, for 5 hours.
- Check occasionally if additional wine is needed.
- Remove roast and add the vegetables and beef stock and return to the oven for an additional 1.5 hours, covered.
- Check for doneness, the meat should be extremely tender, and the vegetables roasted to an almost a caramelized state.
- Remove from the oven and let the meat rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and all the vegetables and jus on top.