Recipe by JoyfulCook
A rich flavored, hearty meal--easy to prepare. Can also be used as a great filling for a meat pie
Top Review by VI Cook
This made the best beef pot pie ever. I used bacon, added crushed garlic to the saute pan, used about 1/4 cup corn flour, put it all into a large pyrex dish & topped it with 1/2 crust from recipe 168103. So tasty. Thanks so much for sharing JoyfulCook.
- 1 kg chuck steak, big dice
- 125 g bacon, small cube or 125 g ham, pieces small cube
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- cayenne, a few shakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 200 g mushrooms, small, peeled and in chunks
- 1 (425 g) can canned tomatoes, blended with the juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and cube meat, brown in large saucepan in the oil, in batches. Remove beef from the pan. Add the onions, ham and mushrooms to the pan and sauté until soft.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, stock cubes, water, herbs and a few shakes of cayenne.
- Bring to the boil. Return meat to the saucepan and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. 10 minutes before its cooked add the seasoning.
- Thicken with corn flour.
- Serve with hot vegetables or can be used as a filling for a Pot Pie. It is real nice either way.