Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love beef barley soup does not get ANY better than this! This recipe is VERY easy, and contains a 'secret' ingredient that I think sets it above the rest! I served this with a green salad and toasted cheese buns for a delicious dinner on a rainy night!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks (leftovers or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cut steak into bite sized pieces.
- Saute in olive oil in a large pot until nicely browned.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer partially covered for 2 hours to allow flavours to blend.