Prep 20 mins
Cook 41 hrs
This is a rich soup almost stew. Very filling. Great crock pot meal served with a salad and some crusty bread.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, bite size cubes
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 onion, diced (1 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Brown beef in a skillet 1/2 at a time.
- Drain well.
- Mix everything in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 9-10 hours or 4 1/2-5 hours on high.
I have this same recipe and its wonderful. The most flavorful B & B soup I've made so far. For my last batch I made it with leftover prime rib roast cut up into small pieces with the fat removed. I also sauted the vegetables that I diced and added a couple cloves of garlic just because we love garlic. Next time I'll add mushrooms. Thanks for posting here.
My husband gave this a 4 but I have to go with about a 3 1/2. It had a good taste and smelled marvelous but it wasn't a soup (or stew) to me. It tasted more like it was supposed to go over pasta so we tried the leftovers on some spaghetti and it was good. Made for PAC 2008.