Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a marvelous soup -- great for a cold evening. It's great served with bread.
Make and share this Rich and Spicy Coconut & Red Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 red onions, chopped fine
- 1 birds eye chile, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh lemongrass, outer layers removed and inside finely sliced
- 1 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 2⁄3 cups coconut milk
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 1⁄2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- naan bread, to eat with soup (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry onions, chile, garlic and lemongrass for 5 minutes, until onions are softened but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils and spices to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and water and stir.
- Bring to a boil, stir, and then reduce heat. Allow mixture to simmer for 45 minutes until lentils are nice and soft, almost mushy.
- Add the lime juice, scallions and cilantro, reserving a bit of each for garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into your favorite soup bowls!
- Garnish and serve hot with naan!
Delicious soup and filling soup!
I really wanted to give this a great review as it has all my favorite ingredients. We found it to be very bland, even after cranking up the amount of spices. If your family has very mild tastes, you might love it.
I went looking for this recipe after I had a cup at my local whole foods (for $5!!!). I thought this was even tastier, and cheaper! I froze a couple of servings for later. Very good!