This is a marvelous soup -- great for a cold evening. It's great served with bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 red onions, chopped fine
- 1 birds eye chile, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh lemongrass, outer layers removed and inside finely sliced
- 1 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 2/3 cups coconut milk
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 1/2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- naan bread, to eat with soup (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large pan and fry onions, chile, garlic and lemongrass for 5 minutes, until onions are softened but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add lentils and spices to the pan.
- 3Add the coconut milk and water and stir.
- 4Bring to a boil, stir, and then reduce heat. Allow mixture to simmer for 45 minutes until lentils are nice and soft, almost mushy.
- 5Add the lime juice, scallions and cilantro, reserving a bit of each for garnish.
- 6Season with salt and pepper and ladle into your favorite soup bowls!
- 7Garnish and serve hot with naan!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich and Spicy Coconut & Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.9
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: