Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This has been made for many a birthday party in my family! Very rich, kids love it. Most of the cooking time is *freezer* time.
- 24 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream, softened (any flavor)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chocolate syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Combine oreos and melted butter, press into 9 x 13 pan.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- (Take ice cream out to soften when you put this in the freezer).
- Spread ice cream over oreo crust, freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a medium size saucepan combine chocolate syrup, condensed milk, and butter.
- Bring to a boil and stir continually for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and allow mixture to cool.
- Spread over ice cream layer, and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Top with cool whip and garnish with more oreo cookie crumbs.
- Freeze for 12-24 hours before serving.
I got this recipe from my mom a long time ago and had it written down, but couldn't find it. I was happy to find it here! Just wanted to share a modification I've done a few times. My wife loves mint chocolate chip ice cream. So I've made a mint version. Follow the same recipe, but substitute mint Oreos for the regular ones and add about 16-20 Andes mints to the chocolate sauce mixture. Then use mint chocolate chip ice cream. I usually top the cool whip by sticking another Andes mint in every piece. It's extremely minty, but very good if mint is your thing.
Made the chocolate sauce from this for an ice cream cake with 26370 actual cake in it and I made a similar recipe a few months ago with the Oreo crust, hot fudge, icecream and cool whip and it was awesome. The other recipe used A bottle or jar of hot fudge instead of the sweetened condensed milk/chocolate syrup/butter mixture which I was just as good, so either way. We love those ingredients chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter, so I expect awesomeness and it didn't seem special after tasting but tasted awesome in the dessert. I will probabally just use the store bought hot fudge sauce like last time simple and yummy unless this was cheaper, But all together either way still a great treat! Oh used mint chocolate chip on one and birthday cake flavor on the others, would recommend birthday cake/party flavor looks fun and festive especially for kids! Love the Oreo crust just as much as the cake but truly loved both methods cake or Oreo crust! Oreo faster but cake is cheaper, I made 2 pans and just sliced the cake in half to make 2 of the large pyrex dishes 10x13? I forgot what size those are :) 2boxes of cheap ice cream and 2 cool whips thanks will make again!
Nice recipe - good, rich fudgy layer.