Recipe by howmanybites?
This has been made for many a birthday party in my family! Very rich, kids love it. Most of the cooking time is *freezer* time.
Top Review by Michael Y.
I got this recipe from my mom a long time ago and had it written down, but couldn't find it. I was happy to find it here! Just wanted to share a modification I've done a few times. My wife loves mint chocolate chip ice cream. So I've made a mint version. Follow the same recipe, but substitute mint Oreos for the regular ones and add about 16-20 Andes mints to the chocolate sauce mixture. Then use mint chocolate chip ice cream. I usually top the cool whip by sticking another Andes mint in every piece. It's extremely minty, but very good if mint is your thing.
- 24 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream, softened (any flavor)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chocolate syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oreos and melted butter, press into 9 x 13 pan.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- (Take ice cream out to soften when you put this in the freezer).
- Spread ice cream over oreo crust, freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a medium size saucepan combine chocolate syrup, condensed milk, and butter.
- Bring to a boil and stir continually for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and allow mixture to cool.
- Spread over ice cream layer, and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Top with cool whip and garnish with more oreo cookie crumbs.
- Freeze for 12-24 hours before serving.