I came by this recipe completely by accident one day when I was making a red sauce for another Mexican-style dish, and when I tasted it I realized it was the perfect rich but mild enchilada sauce for me! Rich and flavorful, this one is a winner. It's fast and easy to make, and tastes much better than the canned variety. If you like your enchilada sauce spicier, add some minced jalapenos or some hot chili powder. I plan to do some canning this fall, and batches of this sauce in jars is on the list.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml boiling water
- 9.85 ml beef bouillon granules (*)
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 1.23 ml butter
- 29.58 ml dried onion flakes or 59.14 ml finely minced fresh yellow onion
- 6.16 ml garlic powder or 9.85 ml minced roasted garlic
- 14.79 ml dried ancho chile powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml cocoa powder
- 1.23 ml cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml dry sherry
- Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce, to taste (I used somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp, cause I'm a whimp)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together the boiling water and bouillon granules until dissolved.
- 2Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3Use in your favorite enchilada recipes!
- 4*Note:I prefer using 1 tsp of Maggi Chicken with Chipotle bouillon cube and 1 tsp of Chicken and Tomato bouillon cube (in the international aisle, from Nestle products) instead of 2 tsp beef bouillon; please note that most Maggi bouillon cubes contain 2 tsps, so you'll be using half-cubes.
- 5Makes about 4 cups (2 cups is usually enough for one batch of enchilada casserole).
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich and Flavorful Enchilada Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (942 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.7
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 588.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 2.1 g