Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I am anxious to try this just because of the method of cooking rice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- Place rice in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon salt, and cover with hot water; stir and let sit until cooled; drain and set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, cook tomatoes in butter, stirring over medium heat, until it forms a paste, about 30 minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, stir once, cover and cook on high heat, without stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until rice absorbs all the broth, about 15 minutes; remove from heat.
- Uncover, place a napkin over saucepan, replace cover, and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes before serving.
I really liked how soft, fluffy this was cooked. I followed the recipe, but after cooking 15 minutes, the rice was perfect and I didn't get to the napkin over pan, replace cover and let sit 40 minutes.. This was really good. . I didn't add salt due to the bouillon, but I think it DOES NEED it. Made with Dragon's Breath Sticky Ribs last night.. mmm